What to do after a car accident in California
In our last post, we discussed the many safety hazards that come along with fall driving. From the sun’s intense glare to more traffic on the roads to foggy mornings, fall can be a very dangerous time of year to drive.
If you are one of the many unlucky drivers who will end up in a motor vehicle accident this fall, it’s important to know how to act. The things you do in the moments following the accident can make a big difference in how you are compensated by your insurance company or the other driver’s.
Here are a few easy steps to take following a car accident:
- Call the police to report the accident.
- Get the contact information for all other drivers, passengers and witnesses involved.
- Take photos of your vehicle, any injuries and the scene of the accident.
- Get treated for any injuries you sustained right away.
- Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area.
- Don’t give anyone details about the accident or your injuries other than your doctor and lawyer.
- Don’t let an insurance company convince you to sign anything or consent to a recorded statement without consulting your lawyer.
While you might think that your insurance company will offer you a fair settlement following a car accident, insurance companies have their own best interests in mind, which is why it’s so important to consult an experienced personal injury lawyer who can make sure your legal rights are protected.
Our firm has been assisting California victims of all types of motor vehicle accidents, including motorcycle accidents, truck accidents and pedestrian accidents, for many years. To find out more about our practice and how we can help, please visit our Sacramento Car Accident Attorney page.