Sacramento Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
Spinal cord injuries can happen to anyone but often these traumatic injuries are the result of negligence, especially in auto accident cases. These injuries are complex and victims are often facing a lifetime of special care and therapy needs. Lifestyle alterations such as these can impact the victim’s whole life: from the job he or she can perform to the activities he or she used to enjoy, many aspects of life will not be the same.
It is hard to put a price on these huge lifestyle changes but it is important to seek the compensation you deserve after an accident, alleviating at least some of the stress of starting a new life. Rosenthal & Kreeger, LLP has been handling complex cases like these for over two decades so we know how to achieve full compensation for your clients. A lawsuit won’t bring back your mobility, but it can go a long way in helping you to move forward.
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury, call (916) 774-7200 today. We offer evening and weekend appointments as well as at-home or hospital visits or you can schedule an appointment with a Sacramento spinal cord injury lawyer at one of our offices in Sacramento or Roseville.
Why Hire Us for Your Spinal Cord Injury Claim?
The Sacramento injury attorneys at Rosenthal & Kreeger, LLP have more than 25 years of experience handling civil claims for our clients all over the Sacramento area. Our firm has the experience and resources to handle the toughest litigation and spinal cord injury claims have the potential to be some of the most intricate and complex personal injury suits. Anyone who has suffered a spinal cord injury needs comprehensive legal representation for the best chances of recovery.
Our firm believes in close communication with our clients to keep them informed about the latest developments in their cases. We explore every available avenue of compensation for our clients to help them get the most out of their injury claims. The damage from a spinal cord injury may take a toll over many years and the right Sacramento spinal cord injury lawyer can make a tremendous difference in a victim’s recovery and quality of life following such a serious accident.
Statute of Limitations for Spinal Cord Injuries in California
Anyone who wants to pursue a civil claim for a spinal cord injury must meet the state’s statute of limitations and an experienced Sacramento spinal cord injury lawyer can help with filing on time. The statute of limitations effectively functions as a time limit for civil claims. In California, a plaintiff has two years to file a personal injury claim. This time limit starts counting down on the date the plaintiff’s injury occurred. If the plaintiff suffered an injury that did not manifest immediately noticeable symptoms, then the statute of limitations would begin on the “date of discovery,” or the date the plaintiff noticed the injury or should have noticed it through reasonable diligence.
Depending on how a victim’s spinal cord injury occurred, he or she may face a shorter statute of limitations if the defendant is a public organization or government agency. Spinal cord injuries that occur due to negligent government employees, or any other civil claims against a publicly controlled defendant, face a six-month statute of limitations instead.
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
Focusing on treatment and therapies can be difficult enough without worrying about medical costs and lost income. Our firm understands these worries, which is why we work tirelessly to help our clients recover full compensation. We base the calculation of this figure on damages such as medical treatment, rehabilitation, pain and suffering, permanent disability, and lifelong care.
At Rosenthal & Kreeger, LLP, our Sacramento spinal cord injury attorneys represent individuals who have suffered spinal cord injuries as well as their affected family members. This includes those who are dealing with the effects of injuries such as:
- Blown disks. The disks between the bones of the spine are vulnerable to injury from sudden impacts and changes in direction. When a disk ruptures, the resulting pain can be excruciating and require surgical intervention to prevent serious damage.
- Compression fractures. Stress on the spinal cord can cause compression. The disks and bones squeeze together and small hairline cracks can form in the bones of the spine. These compression fractures may cause pain that worsens over time and leaves victims more susceptible to acute spinal injuries.
- Herniated disks. A sudden back injury may cause the disks between the spine to distort, pinching the nerves connected to the spinal column and causing pain throughout the body. A herniated disk may require medication and physical therapy, but some herniated disks will require surgical correction.
- Nerve impingement. A “pinched nerve” occurs when the tissues surrounding a nerve apply too much pressure to the nerve endings. This can occur from inflammation, bruising, or acute injuries. A pinched nerve in the spine may cause pain sensations in the shoulders, arms, legs, and other areas of the body.
- Paraplegia/quadriplegia. A complete injury low on the spine may result in paraplegia, the loss of use of the legs. An injury higher on the spine can lead to quadriplegia, the loss of use of all four limbs. A person with quadriplegia may also lose control of bowel functions and experience diminished touch sensations.
- Severed spinal cord. The spinal cord cannot heal itself like the rest of the body, so any injury is permanent. If an injury completely severs the spinal cord, the brain will not be able to communicate with the nerves below the injury. The victim will no longer have any sensation or motor control in the affected areas and such an injury may necessitate permanent, round-the-clock care.
- Vertebral fractures. Acute spinal injuries may result in vertebral fractures or breaks in the bones of the spine. Since the spine has a crucial job for the rest of the body, these fractures require immediate medical attention and victims may require the use of braces or other surgical remedies to protect the damaged vertebrae as they heal.
Our lawyers work with experts such as surgeons, vocational experts, and life care planners to determine the needs of our clients, then go to work building the strongest possible case for trial. Our spinal cord injury lawyers in Sacramento are not afraid of litigation and will fight the insurance companies aggressively to get what our clients deserve.
Free Consultation with a Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in Sacramento
After two decades of helping clients through some of the most serious injuries and accidents imaginable, our firm has a strong record of success for our clients. Our Sacramento spinal cord injury lawyers will ensure that you and your family feel cared for and are in capable and experienced hands. Because you deserve the best.
To schedule your free consultation with one of our qualified attorneys, call (916) 774-7200. We handle all personal injury claims on a contingency basis, which means you pay no attorney fees unless you win.
From our offices located in Sacramento and Roseville, CA, we serve clients throughout Northern California. Learn more about our past successes and read through some of our client testimonials to get a better understanding of our firm.