Schedule Your Free Consultation
Toll-free: 866-456-6423
Local: 916-677-4979
Rosenthal & Kreeger LLP
  • More Than 25 Years Experience
  • Excellence
  • Compassion
  • Integrity
Practice Areas

Different trends for car and bicycle accident fatalities

In recent years, more and more people who are involved in California car accidents have been surviving thanks to safety innovations and medical care, and the fatality rate has been falling. However, cars are not the only vehicles on the roads, and bike accident fatalities have actually been trending entirely in the opposite direction. If anything, the roads have grown more dangerous for bikers since 2009.

The stats kept by the Department of Transportation show that over 700 cyclists passed away after accidents with cars and other motor vehicles in 2009. In California, things were especially bad. While half of the deaths were spread out over the other 49 U.S. states, just about half of them took place in California.

There are many contributing factors that take an accident from an injury to a fatality. One of the biggest is the use of a bike helmet. For proof, just look at the stats from 2009. Only 9 percent of the cyclists who died in accidents had helmets on when they passed away. The other 91 percent of the fatalities were linked to bikers who neglected to wear their helmets.

Of course, even wearing helmets will not prevent accidents. Around 500,000 people had to go to the emergency room after crashes, and those visits could still be needed even without a major head injury. However, helmets can help to make sure that cyclists pull through, rather than being killed.

If you have been injured in a bike accident, or if you have lost a loved one in this way, be sure that you know what rights you have.

Source: Times-Herald, "Eric Ratinoff: Bike helmet law is common sense" Eric Ratinoff, accessed Mar. 17, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Success Stories
  • Avvo Clients Choice
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb Top Attorneys
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Peer Review Rated
  • American Association for Justice
  • Consumer Attorneys California

EnvelopFind Out How we can help you

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

2251 Douglas Blvd., Suite 120
Roseville, CA 95661

Toll Free: 866-456-6423
Phone: 916-677-4979
Fax: 916-774-7203
Roseville Law Office Map

1903 21st Street
Sacramento, CA 95811

Toll Free: 866-456-6423
Phone: 916-677-4979
Phone: 916-229-6744
Fax: 916-774-7203
Sacramento Law Office Map