Premises liability cases are often misunderstood, and many clients are surprised to learn just how many incidents a homeowners insurance policy can be liable for. Most commonly, premises liability claims relate to a physical property, such as a business or residence, where someone was injured. Often, these are slip-and-fall accidents or injuries related to poorly maintained property.
A premises liability claim seeks compensation from an insurance company, so you do not have to feel guilty about "suing your friend" if you were injured on his or her property. Get in touch to discuss this part of the process in more detail, and we can help put you at ease when friends or family are involved.
Owners and managers of property are obligated to maintain premises that are safe and free of obvious hazards. When owners or managers fail to maintain premises and it results in unsafe conditions that cause an accident, this is a premises liability claim.
If you were injured while at someone's home, while you were out shopping or at another place of business, call Rosenthal & Kreeger, LLP, at 916-677-4979 to discuss if a premises liability claim is right for you. Our firm has been representing personal injury victims for more than 25 years, so you can count on us for reliable guidance. Our attorneys offer free consultations at our Rocklin, Roseville and Sacramento office locations.
More Than Just Property
Although many premises liability claims cover slip-and-falls that occur on someone's property, there are a multitude of other accidents that can be covered such as:
- Dog bites and animal attacks: Individuals who are attacked by someone's dog, cat or other pet are entitled to seek compensation through that person's homeowners insurance — even if the attack did not occur on that person's property.
- Negligent security: Visitors to a restaurant, bar, nightclub, gas station, mall or other commercial property, should expect to be free from harm. Our attorneys pursue premises liability claims for clients who were attacked at an apartment building, commercial property or other area that should have been secure.
- Balcony, deck or stairway collapses: These cases can be caused by defective construction, poor maintenance or other negligence. Our attorneys investigate the incident so our clients can be confident that the proper party is held accountable.
- Negligent supervision of children: When a parent trusts his or her child to the care of a teacher, day care, hospital or even a foster home, there is a duty of care owed to him or her. If a child has been injured because of a lack of proper supervision, our attorneys can investigate and pursue a claim.
- Pool accidents: Children are often the most vulnerable to pool accidents, and an incident can happen anywhere from someone's home to a public pool. Our firm knows how to build a strong case to get our clients the damages they are owed.
- Shooting accidents: It is important to remember that in cases like these, a lawsuit is filed against the insurance company, not the friend or family member, so that victims can get the compensation they need to move past the accident.
Contact Our Experienced Attorneys Today
If you have been injured but are not sure what type of lawsuit you should file, premises liability may be worth investigating. Contacting a premises liability lawyer to discuss your accident is the first step, and Rosenthal & Kreeger, LLP, has experience handling these types of cases and can advise you as to the best course of action. We are proud to serve clients throughout Northern California, including Folsom and Auburn.